Below is a list of helpful resources to understand and address the issue of same-sex attraction (also called same-gender attraction, homosexuality, gay, lesbian, and bisexual). Some are resources from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the “Mormons”) and others are community resources.
LDS Church Resources
- MormonandGay.lds.org. This website published by the Church provides a wealth of information about same-sex attraction in the context of the gospel. It contains personal stories and videos of people who have chosen to stay faithful in the Church in the face of these challenges. The website is in English only, but two sections of it are available in 38 languages (see the table below).
- “Same-Sex Attraction.” This entry in Gospel Topics (topics.lds.org) presents Church doctrine on the subject and provides an extensive list of study resources. The Gospel Topics are translated into 9 languages, but the “Same-Sex Attraction” entry is available in a total of 38 languages (see the table below).
- God Loveth His Children. This pamphlet provides counsel for individuals who experience same-sex attraction. It is helpful for their priesthood leaders and family as well. (Read or download a PDF with graphic layout.) It is available in many languages.
- Counseling Resources. This resource at CounselingResources.lds.org helps leaders understand how to counsel with members to understand specific situations and provide help to individuals and families. Accessible by members of stake and ward councils.
- “Same-Sex Attraction.” This article from the Church’s Newsroom has several additional links on the right side of that page.
- North Star International (NorthStarLDS.org). A community of Latter-day Saints who experience same-sex attraction and desire to live in harmony with the teachings of Jesus Christ and the doctrines and values of the Church. The Voices of Hope series provides video testimonies and written essays that document the voices of thousands of Latter-day Saints and their experiences with same-sex attraction. Note: The organization Evergreen International merged with North Star in January 2014. See articles on LDSMediaTalk.com about North Star.
- LDS Resources on Same-sex Attraction. A list of LDS resources, such as articles by General Authorities, books, and websites. Also includes a 1-page handout.
- Resolving Homosexual Problems: A Guide for LDS Men, book by Jason Park. Written to LDS men who want to resolve their homosexual feelings and follow Christ. Offer practical suggestions by a man who has walked the journey. Also available in Spanish.
- Helping LDS Men Resolve their Homosexual Problems: A Guide for Family, Friends, and Church Leaders, book by Jason Park. Urges love and sensitivity toward those who experience same-sex attraction. Also available in Spanish.
- My Son Is Gay: An LDS Father’s Journey Into Love and Faith, book by Tony Clarke. A father shares the heart-breaking but ultimately triumphant story of his journey of discovery. Offers insight and practical suggestions for responding with faith and charity to a loved one who experiences same-sex attraction.
Below are links to translated documents from the Church that provide an understanding of same-sex attraction:
- A notice that was sent to Church leaders when the resources listed below were published in October 2016 (see table below).
- “Church Teachings.” This 4-page document is the translated text from the “Church Teachings” section of MormonandGay.lds.org (see table below).
- “Same-Sex Attraction” entry from Gospel Topics. The Gospel Topics are available in 10 languages at topics.lds.org, but the “Same-Sex Attraction” entry is available in a total of 38 languages (see table below).
- “Frequently Asked Questions.” This 2-page document is the translated text from the “Frequently Asked Questions” section of MormonandGay.lds.org (see table below).
- Ministering Resource on Same-Sex Attraction with specific helps for leaders is available to members of ward and stake councils in 10 languages: Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.