In May of this year, the Church announced that it would discontinue Varsity and Venturing Scouting programs in the Church in the United States and Canada, effective January 1, 2018. Instead, Young Men activities worldwide should focus on spiritual, social, physical, and intellectual goals outlined by the Church.
Now is the time to begin planning activities for 2018. In a Church News article, the General Young Men Presidency gives some helpful guidelines:
- Youth quorum presidencies—under the direction of the bishopric—should lead the planning and execution of activities.
- Develop well-balanced activities that focus on the spiritual, social, physical, and intellectual well-being of youth.
- Planning on an annual basis helps serve the needs of the quorum.
- Don’t just fill the calendar with things to do for the year—plan for experiences that change lives.
- Involve parents and families and allow them to be well-informed.
- Refer to the Young Men 14–18 activities guidelines at ymactivities.lds.org, including a letter from the First Presidency and activity ideas. Also see a list of frequently asked questions.
- In addition, understand the principles taught by the Young Men General Presidency: be with them, connect them with heaven, and let them lead.
Learn more in the article “General Young Men Leaders Urge Quorums to Plan Meaningful Activities for 2018.”