The Boy Scouts of America now offers a Social Media Certification. Some of their suggested activities may be great things to do with all your children.
- Be safer while using social media.
- Bring purpose to your use of social media.
- Better understand how to get involved in the discussions happening in social media.
- Get involved in sharing your personal stories and thoughts on what is important to you.
- Flood the earth with good messages.
Below are a few activities you may consider doing with your family. Some are directly from the scout certification, and others I have adapted for families.
- Discuss with your family safe Internet practices including personal information and pictures when using social media.
- Discuss with your family ways to avoid negative content.
- Consider your purposes in using social media. Write them down and share them with your family.
- Review your social media profiles, including your profile picture and personal information, to be sure you are revealing the appropriate amount of information.
- Review the things you post on social media to see if they appropriately show who you are and what you stand for.
- Start at least one positive conversation related to your purpose for using social media.
- Consider creating a family Facebook group or page. Establish a purpose and plan and invite family members to participate.