Each month, LDS youth around the world study a different doctrinal principle that is coordinated across Young Men, Young Women, and youth Sunday School classes.
The topic for July is Ordinances and Covenants. Youth will learn about priesthood ordinances and how to honor the covenants they have already made and will make in the future. Aaronic Priesthood holders have a unique need to understand the ordinances of the gospel, because they are called to administer the ordinances of the sacrament, baptism, and ordaining others to offices in the Aaronic Priesthood. Youth will learn about the guidance and protection they and their families receive when they make and keep sacred covenants and receive the ordinances of the temple.
Parents, grandparents, siblings, and leaders can help the youth learn these doctrines if they will study the doctrines themselves and regularly discuss the doctrines with the youth during the month. Below is a list of the lessons that may be taught during the month. Quorum and class presidencies and leaders will use the Spirit to determine what is taught.
You may also want to refer to the following resources:
- Read the Gospel Topics Covenant and Ordinances.
- Read the chapter “The Lord’s Covenant People” in the Gospel Principles manual.
- Watch the video Be a Covenant Keeper.
- Watch the video We Are Brothers.
The youth are encouraged to Learn the doctrine, Act upon it in some way, then Share what they have learned. Can you think of ways to help the youth Learn, Act, and Share?
- Teachers may want to refer to the step-by-step instructions on how to show media in the classroom.
- There are also great teaching tip videos that will give you great ideas on how to encourage more discussion and teach effectively.