Below is a list of helpful resources to understand and address the issue of same-sex attraction (also called same-gender attraction, homosexuality, gay, and lesbian). Some are resources from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the “Mormons”) and others are community resources.
LDS Church Resources
- God Loveth His Children. This pamphlet represents the official position of the Church about same-sex attraction. (View or download a PDF with graphic layout.)
- “Same-Gender Attraction” topic on LDS.org has a comprehensive list of resources from the Church. You can find it in the menu on LDS.org by clicking Teachings > Gospel Topics > Same-Gender Attraction. You may also want to read the topics “Same-sex Marriage” and “Marriage.”
- Love One Another: A Discussion on Same-Sex Attraction is a Church website at MormonsAndGays.org. While the above resources provide doctrine and policies relative to homosexuality, the intent of this website is to show personal, real-life stories told by members of the church who have first-hand experience with same-gender attraction themselves or through close friends and family members. Learn more about the MormonsAndGays.org website.
- “Same-Sex Attraction” article from the Church’s Newsroom. Notice several additional links on the right side of that page.
- Interview With Elder Dallin H. Oaks and Elder Lance B. Wickman on Same-Gender Attraction on the Church’s Newsroom.
- “What is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ attitude regarding homosexuality and same sex marriage?” article on Mormon.org.
- Free Latter-day Saint (LDS) Resources about same-sex attraction from Century Publishing.
- First Presidency instructions about gay marriage to LDS leaders throughout the United States
- Resolving Homosexual Problems: A Guide for LDS Men, book by Jason Park. Written to LDS men who want to resolve their homosexual feelings and follow Christ. Offer practical suggestions by a man who has walked the journey. Also available in Spanish.
- Helping LDS Men Resolve their Homosexual Problems: A Guide for Family, Friends, and Church Leaders, book by Jason Park. Urges love and sensitivity toward those who experience same-sex attraction. Also available in Spanish.
- My Son Is Gay: An LDS Father’s Journey Into Love and Faith, book by Tony Clarke. A father shares the heart-breaking but ultimately triumphant story of his journey of discovery. Offers insight and practical suggestions for responding with faith and charity to a loved one who experiences same-sex attraction.
- North Star (NorthStarLDS.org) is a community of Latter-day Saints dealing with issues surrounding homosexual attraction who desire to live in harmony with the teachings of Jesus Christ and the doctrines and values of the Church. The Voices of Hope series provides video testimonies and written essays that document the voices of thousands of Latter-day Saints who are faithfully dealing with same-sex attraction.
- SameSexAttraction.org is a comprehensive website with help for unwanted same-sex attraction from an LDS and Christian perspective.
- Evergreen International This nonprofit organization provided direction and support to Latter-day Saint (Mormon) men and women who want to diminish their same-sex attraction and free themselves from homosexual behavior. It was also a resource to family and friends, professional counselors, and religious leaders. Evergreen merged with North Star in January 2014. See the North Star entry above.
- “For Gay Mormons” video from the YouTube channel “Understanding Mormonism.”
- Center for Gender Wholeness is a psychological clinic with extensive experience in helping those with unwanted same-sex attraction. www.genderwholeness.com, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: (801) 272-3200.