Major Update of LDS Gospel Library Mobile App

Gospel-Library-mobile-app-lds

The Church has released a major update to the Gospel Library mobile app for both Apple iOS and Android, as well as a beta version for Windows 10. Version 4 of the app is available from the Apple app store and Google Play. If you already have the app on your device, it should update automatically.

350-gospellibrary4.0 screenshot copy (1)With the Gospel Library mobile app, you can study the scriptures, conference talks, and other materials.

All content can now be annotated

You can highlight, link, tag, and add comments to all content. Previously, you couldn’t annotate some things, like chapter headings, study helps, bulleted and numbered lists in lesson manuals, hymns, and videos. You can also organize all content into notebooks.

Study tools are more intuitive

• Your annotation notes can now include rich text formatting, including bold, italics, and lists.
  • It’s easier to save passages into custom notebooks and share your notes with others.
  • When you create a link between two passages, the app now creates bidirectional links (links that go in both directions between sources).
  • Easily access footnotes by directly displaying the related scripture references in the redesigned sidebar.

Features are more unified between Apple iOS and Android

Now, whether your device is an Apple iOS or Android, the features and functions will work more the same. For example, footnotes on phones are now located on the side like tablets, the text selection buttons on iOS and Android have the same icons in the same order, and the redesigned Notes section looks more the same on iOS and Android.

In 2017, similar changes will be made to the Windows version of Gospel Library and the study tools on LDS.org to provide a further consistent multi-screen experience. For Windows users who have upgraded their desktop or mobile device to Windows 10, a 4.0 beta release can be downloaded from the Windows store.

Below are the specific enhancements you’ll find in iOS:

• Enabled split-screen support for iPads
  • Reverted to text-selection buttons
  • Added a “clear” highlight style
  • Added black and sepia color themes

Below are the specific enhancements you’ll find in Android:

• Redesigned audio playback experiences
  • Redesigned bookmarks and screens
  • Provided calling-based content delivery
  • Added blue color theme

New video tutorials

See the What’s New feature within the Gospel Library app to learn about ongoing improvements. The short videos under the Tips collection (located at the bottom of the home library screen) can help you learn to use the app in powerful new ways and discover features you might have missed. More video tips will be added over time.

Once you learn about these new features, please share them with your friends and family using the hashtag #GospelLibrary.

New content

Three items have been added in the Church History collection to support your study of the Doctrine and Covenants in 2017:

New beta app for Windows 10

Gospel-Library-mobile-app-lds-1

When you use the app, be sure to log in with your LDS Account so that everything you do will be backed up and synced across all your devices.

Learn how you can download Gospel Library at GospelLibrary.lds.org

• Bonnie December 18, 2016, 7:51 pm

I haven’t been able to highlight text in my scriptures or in a different lessons. Is there some special trick I need to know to be able to do this? Please tell me Hal.

• Randy Nicholls December 19, 2016, 2:14 pm

I have an ipad 2, I think my app updated automatically. It will now not open although I see a new splash screen when I attempt to launch the app. After a few seconds the app closes and returns me to the home screen.

• Scott Anderson December 20, 2016, 10:14 am

I had the same problem on my iPad 3 and my wife on her iPad 2 Sunday morning just in time for church they both updated and quit working. The iPad 3 started working after several hours but the iPad 2 is still not working.
      How do I get the old program back?

• Chase December 22, 2016, 9:33 am

You probably just need to uninstall it and then reinstall it.

• Randy Nicholls December 19, 2016, 2:21 pm

If I spend years building up notes and annotations in my scripture app, after I die I would like my family to have access to the record. Please create a process for me to name a “beneficiary” or “beneficiaries” to give access to them after their death. Thanks.

• Larry Richman December 19, 2016, 4:22 pm

I’m working on an article about that topic right now. It may not be ready for another month, but stay tuned.

• Sara December 20, 2016, 9:01 am

I recently changed from an Android to an iPhone. On the app on the my Andriod you could see the chapter headings for each book of scripture. It really helped me find the chapter I needed. I was surprised to find on my iPhone just the chapter number and no chapter heading. I would love to see the chapter headings for an entire book at a glance.

• Brad December 21, 2016, 7:50 am

Is there a way to listen to audio of the Ensign articles? I had downloaded all audio files for Dec Ensign in the old app but when I upgraded they are gone and I audio doesn’t seem to be available for the Ensign??

• Larry Richman December 21, 2016, 5:26 pm

This is being corrected and should be there by tomorrow.

• Val A Erickson December 22, 2016, 7:53 pm

I have an Iphone and an Ipad and have never figured out how to “unhighlight” something. Sometimes I will highlight something by mistake and I can’t seem to correct the mistake. Can you explain to how this is done?

• Alice December 24, 2016, 10:48 pm

When I go “back” to the content I was viewing before hitting a link, it is not taking me back to where I was previously, instead going to the beginning of the chapter or section, making me lose my place. Any suggestions?

I can see I’m going to get a lot of use out if the split screen- great work!

• Louise Hartvigsen December 26, 2016, 11:47 pm

I can’t open the January 2017 Ensign in the updated app. Am I the only one? Other months will open.

• Louise Hartvigsen December 26, 2016, 11:50 pm

The January 2017 Ensign won’t open in the updated app. Is this happening to anyone else? Other months will open.

• Deborah December 31, 2016, 9:55 pm

I updated to the new version and cannot figure out how to add notes right in the scriptures as I was able to do in the old version.

• Danny January 4, 2017, 10:21 am

LOVE the update! I’m not able to bookmark pages. Before, I would simply touch and hold the bookmark and it would automatically add to the page I was currently viewing. Now, I’m not sure how to move bookmarks around from page to page. Any advice?

• Danny January 4, 2017, 10:24 am

Never mind! Just figured it out. All I had to do was tap the “Refresh” symbol to move and place the Bookmark elsewhere. Thanks! Keep up the great work!

• Stephen Isenberg January 12, 2017, 12:32 pm

The latest update is totally useless. Every time I try to open anything, I have to redownload everything. And it constantly crashes. It is a total waste of time now. How can I obtain the last version so I can actually utilize the application when I’m on the road, or wanting to study/reference something. I am going to uninstall this current app since it is totally useless. Definitely not up to the normal church standards.

• Stephen Smith January 17, 2017, 1:00 pm

It’s really nice that I can do this and I can do that. Stop telling me this nonsense! Tell me HOW to do these things. Someone mentioned a “refresh” button. Where is it? How do I highlight text? I’ve highlighted splotches of text accidentally but don’t know how I did it. Where do I go for instructions?

• Rick Frandsen January 17, 2017, 5:02 pm

One of the best features for me was reading the scriptures on my iPhone with the footnotes open on the bottom so I could see the footnotes WHILE I was reading the scriptures. Now it seem like I can either look at the footnotes or at the scriptures, but not both at the same time. Am I missing something?

Thank you.