Each month, LDS youth around the world study a different doctrinal principle that is coordinated across Young Men, Young Women, and youth Sunday School classes.
The topic for December is Building the Kingdom of God in the Latter Days. The youth were sent to the earth at this specific time to help prepare the world for the Second Coming of the Savior. They have special gifts and talents that the Lord wants them to use to help build His kingdom and share His gospel. The classroom discussions during December will help them develop those gifts as they prepare to become leaders and teachers in the Church and kingdom of God.
Parents, grandparents, siblings, and leaders can help the youth learn these doctrines if they will study the doctrines themselves and regularly discuss the doctrines with the youth during the month. Below is a list of the lessons that may be taught during the month. Quorum and class presidencies and leaders will use the Spirit to determine what is taught.
The instructional resources and videos referenced in the lesson outlines are available on LDS.org and also in the Gospel Library mobile app for convenient offline use on Sunday. The youth teaching sections Getting Started, Teaching the Gospel in the Savior’s Way, and Learning and Teaching Ideas are also available on the mobile app.
You may also want to refer to the following resources:
- Read the Gospel Topics Missionary Work on LDS.org.
- Read chapter 33 “Missionary Work” from the Gospel Principles manual.
- See the website Home and Family.
- Read chapter 36 “The Family Can Be Eternal” from the Gospel Principles manual.
- Read chapter 37 “Family Responsibilities” from the Gospel Principles manual.
- Read chapter 38 “Eternal Marriage” from the Gospel Principles manual.
Watch the video “Parenting: Touching the Hearts of Our Youth”
Watch the video “Help Others Come Back to Church.”
Watch the video “Priesthood Duty: Preaching the Gospel.”
The youth are encouraged to Learn the doctrine, Act upon it in some way, then Share what they have learned. Can you think of ways to help the youth Learn, Act, and Share?
- Teachers may want to refer to the step-by-step instructions on how to show media in the classroom.
- There are also great teaching tip videos that will give you great ideas on how to encourage more discussion and teach effectively.