Last weekend, millions of people from 216 countries used the Internet, satellite, and TV to watch, listen to, and read LDS General Conference in 95 languages. That translation and interpretation miracle made it possible for 97% of the Church’s 15 million members to watch conference in their native language.
Members flocked to social media during general conference to share their testimonies, favorite talks, announcements, and quotes. The Church facilitated the sharing of those messages by posting quotes, memes, and video highlights in real time during the conference sessions on the Church’s Facebook page, Twitter, and Google+ accounts. Here is a summary of those updates from each session: Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, Priesthood session, Sunday morning, and Sunday afternoon.
- Members sent 131,000 invitations to their friends on Facebook to attend the Facebook conference event.
- People changed their Facebook and Google+ cover images and profile pictures to reflect an image from conference.
- There were over 155,000 tweets shared with the hashtag #LDSconf—up from 128,000 tweets at April conference. The hashtag #LDSconf trended on Twitter as high as #6. It was also popular on other social media platforms. During the previous weekend’s General Relief Society meeting, the hashtag #ReliefSociety also became one of the top 10 trended terms on Twitter in the United States. (Learn how to use LDS hashtags.)
- People created and shared hundreds of conference memes (graphic images with quotes from conference).
- Immediately after each session, a video was posted at conference.lds.org. Up until Tuesday night, those videos had been watched online 674,000 times and downloaded 4 million times. During that same period, audio files had been downloaded 1.8 million times.
- Hundreds of thousands of people read conference-related stories on news.lds.org, DeseretNews.com, and other websites.
- The LDS General Conference audio podcast was #2 in the Top iTunes Podcasts in the Religion and Spirituality category.
Read the article “Like, Tweet, and Share Live General Conference Updates” from news.lds.org.
Over the next few days, I invite you to consider what will you do in the next six months because of what you learned at General Conference and share it using the hashtag #next6months. How do you want your life to change?