LDS Maps: Mission Boundaries

by Larry Richman on May 9, 2013

Did you know that you can look up mission boundaries on LDS Maps?

indiana-mission-boundariesFind out where a mission is located for a missionary from your ward

1. Log into LDS.org. (Sign In/Tools is at the top of any page on LDS.org. If you don’t have an LDS Account, you’ll need to create one.)
  2. Click Directory in the Tools menu to go to your ward/stake directory.
  3. Click Missionary at the bottom of the list on the left of the screen to see the missionaries from your ward.
  4. Click on a missionary’s name and it will bring up a map of their mission.
  5. You can click “View in LDS Maps” directly above the map to open an interactive map so you can zoom in and explore.

See mission boundaries throughout the world

1. Click Maps in the Tools menu at the top of any page on LDS.org
  2. Click the Map Layers icon (the icon in the top right that looks like a stack of papers) and a pop-up window will appear that shows the possibilities you can see, such as Temples and FamilySearch Centers. If you are signed in, you will see two subheadings in this pop-up window: Facilities at the top and Boundaries at the bottom. Click on the subhead Boundaries to expand it and see the option for wards, stakes, missions, etc.
  3. Click Missions to see the boundaries of all the missions in the world.
  4. If you click once on the mission and wait a few seconds, you’ll see a pop-up window with the name and address of the mission.

Diane May 10, 2013 at 8:08 am

I’m trying to use the directions to see mission boundaries. Step 2 doesn’t make sense. I don’t see the subhead “Facilities” or “Boundaries” anywhere. I’m suggesting this be made clear.

Larry Richman May 10, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Diane,

Sorry I didn’t make step 2 very clear. Somehow part of the sentence was missing. I’ve now rewritten it to add more explanation.

Judson May 15, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but great topic.
I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.

Thanks for excellent info I was looking for this info
for my mission.

Evan Mullins May 16, 2013 at 6:31 am

Very cool! Thanks for sharing, I didn’t know mission boundaries were in the maps, I’ve always been curious and very vague as to where missions began and ended. It also looks like my old mission has changed again!

Dave Johnson May 25, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Good information. My son is serving in the Columbus Ohio mission and I was able to locate the map of his mission showing the mission boundaries. Useful tool!

I stumbled across this Youtube video about pre-missionary preparation for the 18 year old Elders and 19 year old Sisters. It Looks interesting and I thought worth sharing. The Youtube URL is: http://youtu.be/rD7uw7VdXHQ

Thanks the information on mission maps.

Lori LaFrance June 30, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Is there anyway or any place to see these maps without being a member of the Church and having and LDS account?

Larry Richman July 1, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Lori,

Several of the maps are available without logging in to LDS.org.

Also, anyone can sign up for an LDS Account, even without being a member of the Church. They can still get access to most functions, although there will be a few things, like membership directories, that won’t be availalble to see.

Kristen Black July 9, 2013 at 11:06 am

Does anyone know where you can find mission boundaries if the missionary isn’t out yet? My son got call yesterday to the Colombia Barranquilla Mission, and the map in the booklet is a little sparse. I’ve looked all over and can’t find anything. Thanks!

Ray Maness July 10, 2013 at 8:44 am

This is simply amazing. Thank you.

Carol Pearson July 14, 2013 at 7:13 am

Kristen,

Follow the instructions for See mission boundaries throughout the world. After step 3, Click the Maps button by the Search bar. Type the mission name into the Place field and click the Go Find It button. The mission will be highlighted in blue and you can zoom in from there to find details.

Christy Peterson August 5, 2013 at 10:31 pm

It is toooo complicated. Please make it easier to navigate.

Stephanie September 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm

thanks for sharing! although I did find that I had to “right” click in the mission to get the name of the mission. thank you…

Matthew Hansen September 25, 2013 at 12:32 pm

My boys live in a different ward. How do I see their mission maps?

Also, the “Maps” option shows a page error when I try to select it. Is this a browser problem or is the site down?

Larry Richman September 25, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Matthew,

You can see all the mission boundaries throughout the world by following these steps:

1. Click Maps in the Tools menu at the top of any page on LDS.org
2. Click the Map Layers icon (the icon in the top right that looks like a stack of papers) and a pop-up window will appear that shows the possibilities you can see, such as Temples and FamilySearch Centers. If you are signed in, you will see two subheadings in this pop-up window: Facilities at the top and Boundaries at the bottom. Click on the subhead Boundaries to see the option for wards, stakes, missions, etc.
3. Click Missions to see the boundaries of all the missions in the world.

Allyn November 24, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Thank you very much! This was very helpful for me to find missionaries where my friend lives.

Chris February 7, 2014 at 10:44 am

I’m signed in, but I don’t see the Facilities and Boundaries subheadings.

Larry Richman February 7, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Chris,

The subheads Facilities and Boundaries show up for me. Make sure you’re signed in. If you are, your name will appear in the top right.

Samuel Bradshaw March 12, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Do you know where I could get a nice poster map of all the missions in the U.S. or in the world?

Larry Richman March 13, 2014 at 10:56 am

Samuel,

The Church doesn’t print a map showing all the mission boundaries. They are available online as noted above.

Mary {My Life in Scotland} April 13, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I’m signed it but there is no Facilities and Boundaries subheading. I’ve tried signing out and signing back in. But it isn’t there.

Greg Lyman April 24, 2014 at 8:52 am

There is no Facilities and Boundaries subheading for me either. I am logged in.

Amanda May 21, 2014 at 9:06 am

This is a great tool!

However, I viewed the map using a Mac (Mavericks OS) computer and Safari browser.

I found that it was hard to see the mission boundary lines because the map was also cluttered up with chapel icons. I checked the facilities tab and made sure that all the boxes there were unchecked, and I poked around a few other settings on the map, but I couldn’t find a way to turn off the chapel icons. Is there a way to see just the mission boundaries without any facility icons showing up?

Like some other commenters, I also found that I had to right-click the map to see the name of the mission.