FamilySearch Indexing Mobile App

FamilySearch Indexing is a free app for smartphones and tablets (Apple iOS and Android). Using this new app, you can transcribe names and upload them to FamilySearch for submission.  Note: See update below.

See an infographic that explains FamilySearch Indexing.

The app changes the way indexing is traditionally done. Instead of committing 30 minutes or more at a computer, mobile users can do one name at a time, taking advantage of small bits of time you may have.

Learn more about this app in an article in Church News and on LDS Tech.

Update March 11, 2014: The beta (preliminary) test of the FamilySearch indexing mobile app has been completed and the app has been removed from the app stores for further downloading. No new images are being published for the mobile app so those who have downloaded it should discontinue using it. A new web-based indexing program is currently being developed for both desktop and tablet computers. For more information, see The Future of Indexing. Meanwhile, you can visit FamilySearch.org/indexing to download the current indexing program.

Update August 17, 2015: The FamilySearch engineers are working on an indexing program that will work on smartphones and tablets. They are hoping to make it available by the end of 2015 or early 2016. It will be a web-based system, so you won’t have to use a downloaded app.

• Conrad Taysom March 24, 2012, 7:40 am

The past two days I have attempted to load the New FamilySearch app on my Samsung tablet. It indicates that it is loading but never loads. Is it off line now?

• Lizbeth Johanna Sanchez Perez September 30, 2013, 4:44 pm

I HAVE TABLET HP SLATE 7, I CANNOT UNLOAD “FAMILY SEARCH INDEXING” PLEASE HELP ME, I LOVE INDEX

• Katherine Hansen March 10, 2014, 9:44 pm

I’ve been trying to download this app but I can’t find it. Please help!

• Larry Richman March 11, 2014, 9:50 pm

Katherine,

The beta (preliminary) test of the FamilySearch indexing mobile app has been completed so they have removed the app from further downloading. See my update in the article above.

• beatrice perez July 23, 2014, 3:15 pm

I want to load on to my Kendal and I don’t know how

• Larry Richman July 23, 2014, 5:56 pm

Beatrice,

The FamilySearch Indexing Mobile App is no longer available.

• Karin Rasmussen July 6, 2015, 10:14 am

i would like to do indexing on my I-Pad but am not able to get the “Family Search Indexing App”. When I go to the Family Search site I am told that it is now available but the App Store says ” Item Not Available”. What shall I do? I would really like to help with indexing but am not able to sit at my desktop computer. Please advise.
    Thank you.

• Larry Richman July 6, 2015, 11:16 am

Karin,

The FamilySearch indexing mobile app is no longer available. A new web-based indexing program is currently being developed for both desktop and tablet computers. For more information, see The Future of Indexing at https://familysearch.org/blog/en/future-indexing/. Meanwhile, you can visit FamilySearch.org/indexing to download the current indexing program.

• Larry Richman July 7, 2015, 2:14 pm

Just to clarify: You cannot currently index using an iPad because it needs the Adobe Flash Player.

You could use a mobile app called BillionGraves, which does work on the iPad. It lets you index pictures of headstones from cemeteries. BillionGraves is a partner with FamilySearch. See BillionGraves.com

• Larry Richman August 17, 2015, 10:55 am