Family History Fan Chart

by Larry Richman on December 28, 2011

Home for the holidays and want to enjoy some family history?

You can quickly create a family history fan chart to visually see your genealogy through the new website CreateFan.com.

You can log in using your LDS Account and the website pulls your family history data from FamilySearch.org to create a 9-generation genealogy chart in a colorful fan pattern that lets you visually see your ancestors. The chart separates each family line by a different color and you can see at a glance which names are missing.

For more charts, there is a link to TreeSeek.com where you have access to more kinds of charts:

• The 9-generation fan chart mentioned above.
  • A 9-generation standard pedigree chart.
  • A 10-generation alternate pedigree chart.
  • Name clouds that show the frequency of specific names in your generational line. (More common names appear larger.) You can choose 3 different word clouds: full name, surname only, or first name only.

These charts make family history come to life. The other day, my son and his wife came over to look through our genealogy records for a possible name for their new baby girl. They were very excited to see the word cloud of first names in our family line.

Niklas December 28, 2011 at 8:02 am

Nice, but still disappointing. It doesn’t print ä or ö correctly and some long names will cross the borders of the box instead of been divided to multiple rows.

Brent Fackrell January 8, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Is this a private site or an LDS Church website. If private, is there a fee to creating the nine generation fan?

Larry Richman January 9, 2012 at 7:47 am

Brent, it is a site from the Church. There is no fee to create the charts.

Shanna January 17, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Is there a way to log in as a helper for someone else on new FamilySearch and print out 9-generation fan chart for them?

Larry Richman January 17, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Shanna, you’ll have to log in as that person to have access to his/her family line.

Shelly January 22, 2012 at 7:03 am

Curious as why one of the sections of fan (paternal grandmother) is completely blank–knowing that at least nine generations have been completed for her & documented in other areas. Anyone else have this problem?

Monica Pennington March 11, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I don’t understand why mine is blank. It pulls up my name and the names of my parents and the rest is blank. Any suggestions on how to get my data to populate?

Kayla Hansen March 17, 2012 at 11:08 am

I would like to have the fan chart go beyond nine generations. Is there a way to do that?

Constance March 27, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I have filled the gaps that were showing in the fan chart by going to New.FamilySearch.Org and adding in the information. But, when I printed the fan chart again, the gaps stayed. I don’t know how to add information to the fan chart to complete it. Can anyone help?

Constance April 11, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I’ve been fighting the gaps too…the information is all in New.FamilySearch.com and yet the gaps won’t fill out when printing the fan. I’m getting frustrated. Actually some did, but some I have tried and tried, info is there, but doesn’t go on during the print. Anyone know how to overcome this?

Jennifer June 11, 2012 at 4:53 pm

How do I know that my information will remain safe? I don’t want the LDS church to go back and “baptize” my ancestors into their church. That’s why they begin the ancestral research in the first place and they’re still retro-actively baptizing the deceased into their faith.

Luis June 28, 2012 at 9:36 am

I can’t enter the website. Tried many times to no avail. Anyone know what is wrong? Is the website dead?

ldswebguy June 28, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Luis, it works for me. Try again, and if you still have problems, click on one of the help buttons on the page.

Luis June 28, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Thanks ldswebguy for the piece of advice.
However, I can not access to http://www.familysearch.org, http://www.createfan.com, http://www.treeseek.com.
The first website gives me an Error sign. The last two refresh after I entered the name and password.
I do not understand what is wrong…

Carlos Alvarez July 12, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Is it possible to start the fan chart with other than RIM 1? I have more than 10 generations and I would like to print their information on a fan chart so the chart needs to start with one of my ancestors.

Larry Richman July 16, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Carlos, http://treeseek.com may provide more options for you.

Shannon November 13, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I printed a geneology fan one a week ago. I have recently updated information onto New Family Search. I re-created my fan and it is not showing what i updated. Why doesn’t it show my updates on Create fan? How do I get it to?

angeline evans November 26, 2012 at 8:29 pm

How can I make the type larger on the chart?

angeline evans November 26, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I would like to make the words to be larger on the chart how can I do this

Larry Richman November 27, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Angeline, sorry, I don’t know. You can contact the Family History people at https://familysearch.org/help/feedback?wicket:interface=:2:createACase::ILinkListener::

Todd Hawkins December 12, 2012 at 11:38 am

I created a fan chart a while back. Then I updated my family tree at new.familysearch.org and came back to createfan.com. The fan chart it created was the same as before and did not contain the changes I have made. Why?

lois chapin February 14, 2013 at 6:21 pm

help! I have been doing my geneology for 35 years and my paternal side is not showing up on the fan chart. my tree is built on roots magic and ancestry.com. is there a reason? ps this is my calling.
lois

Larry Richman February 14, 2013 at 7:05 pm
srsperry May 19, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I, TOO, am frustrated by the inability to print MY family tree at createfan.com.
I spent 3 days correcting and adding information and it STILL does not print any of the additions or corrections.

But I am even more frustrated by the numerous people that have complained of this for the past year and I have yet to find one response that tells how to correct the problem.

Annie July 2, 2013 at 11:54 am

How can I make the chart start with the name of one of my children?

Jennifer Houskeeper July 21, 2013 at 4:36 am

I love this site and would like to create and print a fan for each of our children and their spouses as a Christmas present. However, I am unnable to do this and really make it personal with their names in it instead of mine or my husbands. Can you please tell me how I can do this. This is such a great way of maybe making them more interested in doing some of the work that needs to be researched. Very nicely done.

Larry Richman July 21, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Jennifer,

I would suggest you contact the help line for FamilySearch to see if there is a way to do this. Go to FamilySearch.org, and click “Get Help” at the top of the screen and you’ll see the options to call, chat, or send a message.