Chinese Scriptures Now Online

by Larry Richman on December 18, 2009

chinese-scripturesThe electronic text of the Chinese triple combination in traditional characters is now online on the Church’s scriptures Web site (scriptures.lds.org).

You can also find a link to these online scriptures on the individual LDS.org language materials pages. The online scriptures in Chinese includes the text of the triple combination (the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price) with footnotes, study helps, maps, photographs, and the ability to mark scriptures. It also includes the Guide to the Scriptures, an alphabetical listing of gospel topics.

This brings the total number of languages on the Church’s scriptures Web site to 15: ChineseDanish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, and Tongan.

Japanese, Cebuano, and Tagalog versions are scheduled for later in 2010.

Michael Towns December 19, 2009 at 12:47 pm

This is, of course, fantastic and inspiring news. I have a question, though. When will the Arabic scriptures be made available online?

I realize that while growing, the Arab-speaking membership of the Church is very small. I own and read the Arabic Book of Mormon and the Arabic Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price, but would love to be able to see these scriptures online as well.

Jonathan Mahoney December 19, 2009 at 3:16 pm

This is so exciting! Thanks for this update.

I had an idea that might be appropriate to share here.

I realize that each language project the Church works on has a budget. I have an idea about how we might be able to move the work along. I think it would be awesome if the Church would disclose what the required budget for a project is, for example, let’s say it’ll cost $5000 to do the audio recording of the Book of Mormon in Russian. Then make it possible for members donate specifically to a project that is significant to them. In this case I personally would be willing to put a good chunk of money into that project and I’m sure you’ll find no shortage of RMs, etc. who would love to contribute to their favorite project.

I hope somebody takes note of this idea.

I was really excited to hear that the recordings are being done in several Asian languages in the last World Report.

Neil L April 6, 2011 at 6:48 am

Where can we get a PDF version of this new translation WITH PINYIN?I love the printed missionary version but would prefer to have it on my PC. Does anyone know if it’s available this way?

Larry Richman April 7, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Neil,

The PDF version of the new Chinese translation WITH PINYIN will be available in a few months. The Church is currently revising this publication as a result of some revised key terminology in Chinese and will provide it in PDF at scripture.lds.org when it is completed.

Thanks for asking!

Janet Craven May 4, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I was wondering if the scriptures will be available in simplified characters.

Larry Richman May 5, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Janet, The printed book is available at store.lds.org (http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_715839595_10557_21220_-1__195501). We don’t have a schedule yet for putting the electronic text of this language online.

John Hilton January 5, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I noticed this thread is a couple of years old. Any updates on simplified Chinese scriptures being available online? (including an analog to scripturestories.lds.org?) Also how about audio scriptures in Chinese?

Larry Richman January 6, 2014 at 3:57 pm

John,

Yes, the Book of Mormon is now available in print and online in Simplified Chinese. It’s not yet available in the Gospel Library mobile app.

Scripturestories.lds.org is not available in Simplified Chinese, nor are the audio scriptures.

John Hilton III January 12, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Thanks so much Larry. I really appreciate having a way to get answers to these types of questions. I hope the audio scriptures are available soon!

Kirt Y February 6, 2014 at 10:40 pm

I can’t seem to find the simplified Chinese Book of Mormon for Android phone. The Gospel library mobile app only shows traditional Chinese as an option.

Larry Richman February 7, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Kirt,

The scriptures publication team doesn’t have the translation converted to the right publishing format yet. They plan to do it, but it’s not yet scheduled.

Kirt Y February 8, 2014 at 12:16 pm

“Yes, the Book of Mormon is now available in print, online, and the Gospel Library mobile app in Simplified Chinese.”
What is this referring to? It it available for IOS and not Android, or am I missing something?

Larry Richman February 8, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Kirt,

Sorry for the confusion. I just talked with the product manager of the Gospel Library app and he confirmed that it’s not yet available in the Gospel Library mobile app either for iOS or Android.