Church Music Site on LDS.org

by Larry Richman on November 9, 2009

musicThe Church Music site on LDS.org (music.lds.org) contains links to all the music and music-related resources that the Church has placed online. Along with sheet music, resources include an interactive music player to play, read, or transpose hymns and children’s songs. Access learning materials on conducting music, accompanying others, teaching songs to children, adding variety to singing, and learning music symbols and terms. Site visitors can search for songs with a variety of keywords, and songs can be downloaded as MP3 files.

Visit the Church music site if you want to

• Learn parts to the hymns
  • Download Church music from the Hymns, Children’s Songbook, or other Church-related music
  • Prepare talks and lessons using the music
  • Learn basic music skills (conducting and keyboard)
  • Assist in learning your Church calling
  • Listen to music while working at the computer
  • Manipulate hymns (transpose to different keys, speed up and down, print sheet music)
  • Sing together in Family Home Evening
  • Search hymns for words, phrases to use in talks, lessons, and FHE
  • Links to music in Church magazines
  • Simplified hymnbook in languages (Hymns Made Easy)
  • Reference organ manuals

From the News of the Church article which introduced the Church music web site in 2004: ‘The most important benefits of the new site will be spiritual. As the First Presidency teaches in the preface to our hymnal, music has the power to move us toward greater spirituality in our homes and families.  Whether or not members have a background in music, the site will help them in studying doctrinal principles, conducting family home evenings, serving in Church callings, and teaching the gospel in many settings.”

Charles Thomas May 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I was told that a person is only allowed to sing one solo a year in Sacrament Meeting. Will you please comment on this?

ldsWebguy May 2, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I’m not aware of any guideline like that from Church headquarters. Perhaps the ward or stake has set this guideline.

Teuaa Titabu June 9, 2011 at 10:24 pm

How bless am I to have this website, to open any church music… to hear and to learn great music..

Robert M. Pritchett July 8, 2011 at 10:34 am

Dear Music Department. This is my 6th year of playing music with a live square dance band for LDS Treks. Fiddles, Gtr, Accordion, Keyboards, Banjo Etc. I have a repertory of this music,. Would the church be interested in copies of this music for other Square Dance Treks. It is easy to make a band with fairly competant musicians but they lack the sheet music of the early players. I first learned String Bass with Weldon Bastion in Spokane when I was 14. We do Polkas, 2 steps, Waltzes, Grand Marches, Music for Virginia Reel and Hoe Downs. Also Put your Little Foot, Varsouviene, Schottishe, and others. I am printing up a new set for our July 29 play at Ensign Ranch. I can send a set at no charge. This is fun music and the players will get a thrill out of it as well as the dancers. Robert M. Pritchett 79 and last dance job

samuel banguea August 23, 2011 at 10:42 am

I will be very gratful if my country sierra leone will have this priveledge to learn am now bless to have this website so that i can improve on my music carrier

Valeria Westergard November 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm

First: thank you for the wonderful music website, we really enjoy this site, either individually, as a family, or as a great resource in our callings, what a blessing!!

Second: Is there an specific place about church songs translations? I would like to send some songs that I translated from english-spanish from the Children Song Book.

Thanks!

Larry Richman November 20, 2011 at 12:47 am

Valeria, the English Children’s Songbook has alreay been translated into Spanish. But if you have translations you’d like to submit, you can send them to the e-mail address that I just sent you in an e-mail.

Carmen J Lopez January 7, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I have a similar request as Valeria. I have English-Spanish translation and respective sheet music for hymns from the Hymn Book, which are not yet officially translated. I have done this to enjoy those hymns we do not normally sing because they do not appear in the Spanish Hymn book. I would like to submit them, so they can be of use to other people in the future.
Thanks.

Larry Richman January 9, 2012 at 7:52 am

Carmen, I have e-mailed to you the contact information for the person you can submit them to. Thanks.

Patsy Larson February 8, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I am a new Music chairman in my ward and wonder how I can keep track of the music we sing each week with out going back to the same hymns often . Does any
one have a good idea without writting down each song and going over them to make sure we don’t repeat songs?

Joy Ellis March 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

In Relief Society, may the teacher request a particular hymn or select a ‘special musical number’ to support her lesson?

Ken Baguley March 14, 2012 at 9:35 am

Patsy Larson, first read the music section of the Priesthood manual of instruction. Then ask the Bishop or his music counselor to give you a theme for each week. Go the the back of the hymn book and look at the topics relating to the theme. Pray for the spirit to select the most appropriate hymn. Write them down on a monthly basis ahead of time (6weeks?) for the bishop to approve. Use this as a guide to limit not eliminate repetition.

Jacqueline Alota Bayugan May 1, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Aside of our Holy Scriptures, I really love our hymns. Every time i have problems, challenges or even the moment of happiness and success it really helps me a lot. It gives me strength, comfort, hope and strong faith that the Lord Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father really lives and they love us so much. I am so grateful for our sacred Hymns that really touch our very heart to come Unto Him.

Carmen J Lopez July 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Larry, I never did get that e-mail contact for the church’s music department. Could you resend it please. Thank you very much!

Sue Ockey August 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm

A senior Primary child, during Singing Time, asked a question concerning “The Eighth Article of Faith” song by Vanya Y. Watkins. He wanted to know why Sister Watkins chose to write this Article of Faith song in a minor key. I was hoping that she might answer his question, or someone who has insight about her work.

Thank you!

Terri S Potts December 16, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Who and how can I contact either the music department or primary about getting some lyrics from the primary girls program back in the 60′s? I am hoping the church has archived the songs for the Gaynotes, Firelights, and Merrihands. I don’t need them for anything except to satisfy my wondering how they went. I found a blog that someone gave the history of primary and bandlos and someone left a comment about the girls songs but couldn’t remember them. I almost remember all of them except for a few spots and it is driving me crazy. Please help so I can stop wondering about it.
Terri Potts

Larry Richman December 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Terri,

I checked the 1951 The Children Sing, and didn’t find it there. I’d suggest you check with the Church History Library. See contact information at http://churchhistorylibrary.lds.org/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?dscnt=1&dstmp=1355771019524&vid=CHL_PUBLIC&fromLogin=true&fromLogin=true

Terra Fraiser January 23, 2013 at 3:10 pm

@Terri S Potts

Have you succeeded in finding the words to the full song yet? My mother recently wanted to find them, but as you’ve learned… they aren’t available online! Wondered if you had any more luck then we have had.

Thanks!

Don Taylor March 19, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I am looking for sheet music for the banjo; primary songs, hymns, pioneer tunes. Do you know where I might find some?

Thanks!

Larry Richman March 19, 2013 at 7:55 pm
DEBRA DUNCAN December 18, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I CAN NO LONGER FIGURE OUT THE CHURCH’S WEBSITE (LDS.ORG). IT USED TO BE SO EASY TO LEARN PARTS LISTEN TO SEVERAL PARTS OR EVEN SEE HOW A SONG SOUNDED IF YOU DIDN’T HAVE ONE PART. (WE HAVE A VERY SMALL CHOIR). BUT NOW I JUST CANT NAVIGATE IT! I CANT FIND THE OLD INTERACTIVE MUSIC. THE CHURCH’S WEBSITE SAYS CANT BE FOUND. HELP! I’M SUPPOSE TO SING THE ALTO PART OF O LITTLE TOWN OF BETHLEHEM AND I NEED TO NOT EMBARRASS MYSELF.

Larry Richman December 18, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Debra,

Sorry you are having problems finding the music player.

Go to music.lds.org, then click “Music Player” at the bottom right.

Rebecca February 6, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I would like to ask if it’s possible to get permission to use the image on this blog (the green one with ‘Church Music’) as the Facebook profile picture for a page I’m trying to create for my stake music calling. Thank you for any information you can offer.

Larry Richman February 6, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Rebecca,

I’ve emailed you information about your question.