Gospel Art Picture Kit

by Jimmy Smith on January 22, 2009

jesusbaptismNote: The Gospel Art Picture Kit has now been replaced by the Gospel Art Book available online and in print. Learn more about the Gospel Art Book.

The Gospel Art Picture Kit is a great resource for family home evening lessons, primary talks and many other gospel teaching and scripture story telling moments.  The online Gospel Art Picture Kit can be found in the Family Home Evening section of the Home & Family section of LDS.org.  A hard copy of the kit can be purchased through the Church Distribution Center Web site, ldscatalog.com (the boxed Gospel Art Picture Kit is only $30).  The boxed kit contained 160 pictures, and most of them are also available to view and print for free from the Web site.  The Web site images.lds.org has a link to the Gospel Art Picture Kit as well as links to many other Church-related image libraries. You can also google “Gospel Art Picture Kit”;  the first result is for the online kit and the second result is the link to purchase the actual kit.

gospelartimagebycatRebecca Lyn Casper, a project coordinator interning in the Church Audio/Visual department, recently did an analysis of the pictures in the online gospel art kit. She found that the New Testament pictures are the most popular, comprising 36% of the total views of gospel art pictures.  The most popular of the all the pictures was “John the Baptist Baptizing Jesus” with over 23,000 page views during the year 2008.  Below is a chart of the top 10 most popular pictures in the gospel art kit.

Though Larry Richman blogged about pictures on Church Web sites a couple of years ago, it was only recently that I learned that the Gospel Art Picture Kit was available online, and only today did I learn about images.lds.org. I wonder how many of you were aware of these resources? And if you have used them, what could we at the Church do to improve them? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Most Popular Items in the Gospel Art Picture Kit in 2008
Picture Name Page Views
208 John the Baptist Baptizing Jesus 23,670
240 Jesus the Christ 22,638
239 The Resurrected Jesus Christ 18,753
201 The Nativity 16,543
227 Jesus Praying in Gethsemane 16,323
403 The First Vision 15,916
216 Christ and the Children 13,502
238 The Second Coming 12,973
608 Christ and Children from around the World 12,192
212 Sermon on the Mount 11,144

jacob January 22, 2009 at 9:22 pm

About a year ago I was looking to decorate my apartment, and I really wanted to use church history photos to put in my frames. The problem I had was that I couldn’t find high resolution versions of the photos that were suitable for resizing and printing.

Rick January 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm

The copyright information says the images can’t be used on websites. Too bad for those that blog about the Church and want to illustrate their article.

Rob January 23, 2009 at 10:00 am

What I think the Church could do better with these is be more clear about what users can and can’t do with these images. It’s hard for us average users to understand copyright laws and know how we can within artist’s rights further reuse these to enhance our personal messages.

Give LDS Gifts January 23, 2009 at 11:03 am

I LOVE that the Gospel Art Kit is available online! I use it all the time for crafts and activities for my children. The site says that the pictures can be used for personal, non-commercial uses, so I have used them to make felt board pieces, LDS Lacing Cards, puzzles, etc. to compliment FHE lessons and for quiet activities in church.

I agree with Rick though, it’d be nice to be able to use them on a blog. It seems like there are a lot of LDS people with blogs now responding to Elder Ballard’s call in the July 2008 Ensign, Sharing the Gospel Using the Internet.

Give LDS Gifts January 23, 2009 at 11:05 am

Jeff VanDrimmelen January 23, 2009 at 11:29 am

I agree with those above. What can we use the pictures for? I am the program coordinator for my ward and I would love a way to use the pictures in the program! :)

Jonathan January 23, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Me gusta Mucho la ImageN!

Chante January 24, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Perhaps the Church could organize the pictures according to the rights we have for them. This might make it easier for members to find pictures for blogging etc.

Grant Turley June 28, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Hey I am teaching a lesson on FHE, and was wondering if anybody knew the statistics of the families that send children on missions and had temple marriages that had FHE weekly. Do you know if anyone could helpe me out with this? Please email me
Grantturley@gmail.com

Megan October 31, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I am really disappointed that the Gospel Art Picture kit is no longer available. I wanted to buy some more for my Primary, but I can’t find them anywhere. We use it all the time for sharing time and I have a couple of teachers that prefer the GAK to the pictures that come with their manuals (the manual usually lists both numbers). The spiral bound books really aren’t nearly as good — you can’t tape those pictures to the wall or play games with them like you can with the GAK pictures. If anyone knows where I can find them, I’d really like to know. megan@buhlerfamily.org

Annie Colon November 18, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I agree Megan!!! I am soo bummed I can’t buy the kit. I would love to use the pics in nursery, and the book doesn’t really help me out. I guess it’s printing the pictures on cardstock for me!

linda cram November 25, 2013 at 8:16 am

I gave away my Gospel Art Kit thinking that I could just buy another. I know so many members who would like to own one of these.

Can the church please bring them back? The Gospel Art Book is great for use at home but very clumsy for teaching lessons in Church.

Thank you!