Watch Clean Movies with ClearPlay DVD

by Larry Richman on December 12, 2008

ClearPlay is a DVD player that enables your family to watch movies,  with the violence, sex, language, and other objectionable content filtered out. Each DVD movie has a custom filter created just for that movie. You can even choose which types of content are removed with customizable filter settings.

Has your family tried filtered movies? What was your experience? What do you think of this approach to creating family-friendly entertainment?

Tim Knell December 19, 2008 at 8:50 pm

My only problem with content editing is that someone still has to watch the bad stuff and the people making the bad movies are still financially rewarded for doing so. Perhaps the ‘clean flicks/clear play’ industry has backfired in this regard.

Rick December 19, 2008 at 11:59 pm

I bought Clearplay when it was first sold at Walmart. I’ve upgraded to the new model. This thing just plain works. I download several thousand filters on a thumb drive and place it in the DVD player. You have complete control, choosing from lots of options of what you want to see (or not). I highly recommend it.

TARA December 20, 2008 at 1:22 pm

I gave up R rated movies years ago – and most PG-13s. I don’t miss them at all. Seriously, don’t we have enough ways to spend our time without this? Someone has to watch the trash to filter it out, and I don’t want to be responsible for that. What I do try to do is support good, clean films (rare though they may be) in the theaters. Hollywood will never stop making the trash if we continue to consume it.

Greg December 21, 2008 at 12:47 am

I like the clear play and I like what they’re trying to do. That said, sometimes it doesn’t edit out everything that it should (in my opinion of course). My second gripe, and this probably only applies to %0.01 people, but part of their EULA is that you can’t even try to look at the filters themselves or reverse engineer how they work. I think it would be great if people could submit their own and better filters. Or I wish I could make filters that edit the boring parts of movies as well as the inappropriate parts. But nope. They’re a closed company. And shame on them for it.

Alice December 21, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Hollywood has lost money on rated R movies for many years, but still makes far more of them than the G & PG which bring in more money. Sending them a message hasn’t worked yet. We need to do what we can with what we have.

We’ve had Clearplay for several years, and I love it. Even those movies we think are clean often have some profanity in it, and it’s so wonderful to be able to have that edited out. And there are a LOT of movies that have just that “one scene” that we no longer have to worry about.

I do wish we had the ability to add scenes to the filter, so if a particular scene that was left in bothers us for whatever reason, we could program it to cut it out every time it plays.

There are some drawbacks to Clearplay. One is that it occasionally leaves things in that are inappropriate, because the story line would be confusing otherwise. Another is that many people think they can now watch any and all movies with no problem – but the filters do not (can not) filter out immodest dress or immoral story lines. You still have to be discerning. Finally, movies have to be on DVD, though most of our local library’s collection is on VHS.

Keeping these things in mind, I still think Clearplay is a valuable tool, and I highly recommend it.

Samuel December 23, 2008 at 3:58 pm

It is great that people watch the edited versions rather than the complete versions of offensive movies. But, the way I see it, an offensive movie is still an offensive movie.

I saw an online edited-DVD store, and most (yes, most) of the movies have for their very theme an offensive situation. The cover pictures are even immodest and violent… The truth is, the bad parts, whatever percent of the film they are, are a vital part of the story. The theme of the story is often immoral. It would be almost impossible, for many films, to root out the bad parts and keep any coherent story. So, I think these movies should not be watched at all.

Another thing I think of, is, what if we really like a movie? Say, the edited version of Movie R becomes our favorite movie. So, will we tell everyone that Movie R is our favorite movie? People won’t care or know that we watched the edited version. They will think that we watch sick and twisted movies. We don’t want to risk attachment to an edited movie, because the title of the movie infers the immoral content of the original movie.

Then, what about our children? I remember movies that I enjoyed watching as a child. Luckily, they are all good, clean movies. Now, imagine your child grows up and sees Movie R in a store. He remembers that he enjoyed it. Will he know to look for the edited version? Probably not – he will buy the unedited version. Again, an edited movie with the same title as a bad movie is still a bad movie.

This being said, I don’t plan on watching edited movies as a common practice. There are enough good, clean movies out there that we don’t need to look for edited versions of the filthy ones. Yes, it is true that good, clean movies are harder to find nowadays. But there are still some. I’d recommend looking at good classics… there are so many wonderful older films. Few people make clean movies anymore, because few people want them these days. But if you go back to movies made when the general public wanted clean entertainment, there you will find treasures.

Todd Knowles December 26, 2008 at 1:33 pm

I am grateful for the “clean play” versions of movies that have minimal offensive content (and which generally make little contribution to the plot). Seabiscuit was an example. But I worry that accounting procedures do not distinguish whether a movie was watched in a “clean play” version or the original unedited version. So the producers of movies with offensive content are actually making more money from a movie — regardless of whether we watch it in “clean play” or not. The amount of money made and the amount of viewers sends a message about whether to make more of these movies or not. I think watching “clean play” versions of movies with enough offensive content to give it an R rating may be encouraging more of these types of movies in the future. We need to vote with our dollars if we want things to change. I’m not sure that the clean play investment is the best way to ultimately change things.

Kim January 11, 2009 at 11:13 pm

We have had Clearplay since it came out. We don’t use it to watch every many PG-13 movies and NO R movies. We simply use it to clean up PG (and even some G) movies for our kids. For instance, it takes out one rather shocking phrase in “ET” that spoiled the whole movie.

Our kids always ask, “Is there a Clearplay filter for this” and they are 10 and 11. It is the best thing ever for families who want to remove that “one bad part”. I mean, who decided it was okay to take the Lord’s name in vain in a G-rated movie? It happens all the time now and my kids are shocked by it. Clearplay takes it out!

Dan November 23, 2009 at 5:43 pm

I appreciate the wider variety of movies that are available without all the bad language, etc. when using Clearplay, although sometimes things are still left in that I think should have been removed. Now there is also something like Clearplay for watching DVDs on the PC called PC No Evil.

Craig April 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I could not agree with you more! Our family still wants to watch movies and there some television shows we like to watch. My wife and I are interested in pointing our children’s moral compass in the right direction but weren’t sure how. Well, I won’t say we’ve got it all figured out, but now we have a plan and some “tools.” That’s why we started http://www.watchfamilymovies.com we share the Ideas & Reviews of the things that are helping us keep our kids aimed in the right direction. Come and vist

Anita May 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm

The ClearPlay is such a blessing. Our teens love the fact that they can see some movies that we would have never allowed. Here is a site that offers the best price I’ve seen for the ClearPlay. They also promote TVGuardian, any of you heard of it?

cassie mcdonald May 11, 2011 at 9:37 am

Any time you rent or buy any movie, you are putting money into the pockets of the creators of the work. Most of the time I suppose that goes right back in to creating more of the same. I refuse to fund those who specialize in glamorizing things that are immoral, violent, and ridiculous. Clear Play may allow you to watch, but you are very much increasing the availability of trash to others and padding the pockets of perverts.